Upgrading Your Subaru Outback: Everything You Need to Know About STI Swaps
Are you looking to upgrade your Subaru Outback’s performance? A popular modification among Subaru enthusiasts is to swap out the engine for an STI engine. In this article, we will cover everything you need to know about Subaru Outback STI swaps, including what an STI swap is, the benefits and drawbacks of doing a swap, and how to do it.
What is a Subaru Outback STI swap?
A Subaru Outback STI swap involves replacing the original engine in your Outback with a more powerful engine from an STI model. The STI engine is known for its high-performance capabilities and is a popular choice for those who want to take their Outback to the next level.
Benefits of a Subaru Outback STI swap
There are several benefits to doing a Subaru Outback STI swap, including:
- Increased horsepower and torque: The STI engine provides significantly more horsepower and torque than the stock engine, resulting in improved acceleration and overall performance.
- Better reliability: The STI engine is known for its reliability and durability, making it a good long-term investment for your Outback.
- Improved handling: The STI engine is designed to handle higher speeds and provide better handling, making your Outback more fun to drive.
Drawbacks of a Subaru Outback STI swap
While there are many benefits to doing a Subaru Outback STI swap, there are also some drawbacks to consider, including:
- Cost: An STI swap is an expensive modification, as it requires purchasing a new engine, as well as additional parts and labor costs.
- Difficulty: Installing an STI engine in your Outback is a complex process that requires a significant amount of mechanical expertise. If you do not have experience working on cars, it is best to leave the swap to a professional mechanic.
- Warranty: Swapping out your engine may void your Outback’s warranty, so it is important to consider this before making any modifications.
How to do a Subaru Outback STI swap
If you are interested in doing a Subaru Outback STI swap, it is important to follow these steps:
- Research: Research the different types of STI engines available and decide which one is best for your needs.
- Purchase an engine: Purchase an STI engine from a reputable source. Make sure to check that the engine is in good condition before making a purchase.
- Gather additional parts: You will need to purchase additional parts, such as wiring harnesses, exhaust systems, and intercoolers, to complete the swap.
- Hire a mechanic: Unless you have significant experience working on cars, it is best to hire a professional mechanic to install the new engine.
- Test and tune: Once the engine is installed, it is important to test and tune it to ensure that it is running smoothly and performing at its best.
The Subaru Outback STI is a unique and special vehicle that combines the practicality and versatility of the Outback with the performance and handling of an STI vehicle. Engine swaps are a popular way to modify Outback vehicles, and the Subaru WRX STI engine is a popular choice for those looking to add more power to their Outbacks. Performing an engine swap on a Subaru Outback can be challenging, but it can also be a rewarding and satisfying project for those with the right skills and experience.
Subaru Outback STI Swap FAQs
What is the difference between a regular Subaru Outback engine and an STI engine?
The STI engine is designed to provide high-performance capabilities and is built with stronger components than a regular Outback engine. This results in increased horsepower and torque, as well as better reliability and durability.
How much does a Subaru Outback STI swap cost?
The cost of a Subaru Outback STI swap can vary widely depending on the type of engine and parts used, as well as the cost of labor. On average, a swap can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000.
Is a Subaru Outback STI swap legal?
A Subaru Outback STI swap is legal as long as the engine meets emissions requirements and is installed correctly.